THE JOURNEY

Sharing the Christian Journey with joy and insights. To inspire, encourage, transform your outlook and purpose for life.

Monday, August 2, 2010

The Inner Journey

I am an avid reader and am currently reading this book. It has many writings from some of the greatest theologians of all time. I was reading from this chapter the other morning by Bede Griffiths, confess I had never heard of him, but quote this passage which I underlined.

For many people the very idea of God has ceased to have any meaning. It is like a half forgotten mythology. Before it can begin to have a meaning for them they have to experience his reality in their lives. They will not be converted by words or arguments, for God is not merely an idea or a concept in philosophy; he is the very ground of existence. We have to encounter him as a fact of our existence before we can really be persuaded to believe in him. To discover God is not to discover an idea but to discover oneself. It is to awake to that part of one's existence which has been hidden from sight and which one has refused to recognize. The discovery may be very painful; it is like going through a kind of death. But it is the one thing which makes life worth living.

Now, I can attest to this. Bede Griffiths expresses it better than I can but I will try.

I have know I was God's child since I was a little girl. And as much as any young child can understand I knew I had a Father God that loved me no matter what. I never knew my birth father, he was killed in the II World War. Church ed from the cradle role up you would think I came from a strong christian family, but they were Christmas/Easter Christians at best. It was my grandfather who dropped me off every Sunday for Sunday School. So I grew up knowing about the Lord. I was a lonely teenager and it was at a low point in my life that I experienced what I can only say was an encounter with the living God. That is to say that I new it was Him. It was through an event of nature that I felt Him touch me and fill me with His light and warmth. A true sense of well being. I remember it like it was yesterday. I have had a seekers heart ever since to know the things of God. It has been a wonderful journey. I have moments now when I feel so close to this present unknown reality that I feel I could reach out and touch it. Like my hand pushing through an invisible wall. I know I am part of something bigger than myself. I experience His empowerment in my life which is a witness to the scripture, " Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world." Phil. 3:13 probably one of my favorites, but that I have many favorites.

So if you are a seeker like me I hope this encourages you. Drop me an e-mail or leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you. K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home